2012 is looking to be one of the best years for film in a very long time. I’m guessing I’ll spend a ridiculous amount of money in the theater this year. There’s many other movies other than these 10 that I’m really looking forward to as well. But here are the 10 I’m most excited to see so far. I’ll be interested to look back at this list this time next year and see how many made it in to my top 10 favorite of the year. We will see.
1. The Dark Knight Rises - This one was a no brainer. Christopher Nolan is back to finish what he started with Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. I’m happy the marketing is making it abundantly clear that this is the end of this particular Batman franchise. I have complete faith that Nolan is gonna wrap the whole thing up beautifully, and we will have one of the best trilogies in the history of film on our hands.
2. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - The Lord of the Rings Trilogy are some of my favorite movies ever. They are just masterpieces all around, and on such an epic scale. I always hoped Jackson would go back and make The Hobbit. He did, and December couldn’t come soon enough.
3. Moonrise Kingdom - I know quite a few people who have already written this movie off simply because it looks so “Wes Anderson”. Well I couldn’t be more happy with that. I adore every one of Anderson’s movies. He’s one of my top 5 favorite directors, and this movie looks like it showcases all of those things I love about Anderson and then some. Bring it on Wes. Do your thing.
4. Prometheus - Ridley Scott has been pretty hit or miss as of late. What better to restore our faith in him than to revisit the genre that first proved to us his brilliance in the first place. After watching the first trailer I am sold. It looks like he more than nailed it. I can’t freaking wait!
5. Django Unchained - Tarantino is another favorite of mine, cliche as that might be. I’ve always thought he should just do his own spaghetti western, and it looks like he heard my prayers. I honestly think Tarantino is getting better with every movie. He’s going to knock this one out of the park and he’s got Leonardo DiCaprio to help him do it.
6. Brave - Let’s just pretend Pixar took a year off. It was a difficult 2011 not having any Pixar eye candy to ogle over. The wait is nearly over however, and Brave looks more than worthy to carry the Pixar banner.
7. Looper - Rian Johnson first 2 movies are 2 of my favorite movies. I can’t wait to see if my love for him grows with his 3rd. Time travel, bruce willis, and joseph gordon-levitt sounds like a winning combination to me.
8. Gravity - Children of Men is in my top 5 favorite movies ever. Cuaron hasn’t really done anything since. From what I hear Gravity, which stars George Clooney, is going to be pretty ground-breaking as far as camera work and special effects go. I would expect nothing less from another Cuaron and Lubeski collaboration. If this movie is great Cuaron could easily knock a director out of my top 5.
9. Untitled P.T. Anderson Movie - Everything Paul Thomas Anderson touches turns to gold. So to hear that he’s making a movie that partners him back up with Philip Seymour-Hoffman as the lead…well I just couldn’t be more thrilled.
10. Skyfall - I have been a bond fanatic since I was a young kid and I’d watch the Bond marathon on TNT with my dad. My love for 007 has only grown as an adult, especially with Daniel Craig taking on the tuxedo. So when I heard that one of my favorite Directors Sam Mendes was taking on the next Craig Bond with Javier Bardem as a villain I about crapped my pants. I’ve never been more excited for a Bond movie in my life. This can’t come soon enough.